Glenn Engineering Design Challenges (Middle Grades) - Engineering design challenges are an integral part of educational content where students have the opportunity to work on real-world challenges in a collaborative, team-based environment, applying the lessons learned to the technical problems of the workplace. Glenn Engineering Design Challenges (EDCs) will connect students, at both in-school and out-of-school settings, with the unique challenges faced by NASA scientists and engineers as they design the next generation of aeronautic and space vehicles, habitats, and technology. Click here
- "Powered and Pumped Up" pdf
Design and build a lightweight solar-powered pumping system that can move water as quickly as possible between two storage tanks.
- "Let It Glide" pdf
Design and improve a glider made out of a shoebox that demonstrates the best glide properties when thrown.
- "Gaining Traction on Mars" pdf
Design a set of wheels for a Martian rover that performs best on a simulated extraterrestrial soil bed.
- "Citizen Science Alliance" - The Citizen Science Alliance is a collaboration of scientists, software developers and educators who collectively develop, manage and utilize internet-based citizen science projects in order to further science itself, and the public understanding of both science and of the scientific process. These projects use the time, abilities and energies of a distributed community of citizen scientists who are our collaborators.
- "Zooniverse: Space-Based Projects"- The Zooniverse is the world's largest and most popular platform for people-powered research. Select from current possible Space-based projects, such as: Solar Stormwatch, Exoplanet Explorers, Comet Hunters, and more.
- "GLOBE Observer"- GLOBE Observer is an international citizen science initiative to understand our global environment. The public's observations help scientists track changes in clouds, water, plants, and other life in support of climate research. Scientists also use submitted data to verify NASA satellite data.
- "Citizen Science at the California Academy of Sciences" - Join citizen scientists from all over the world learn about and protect the biodiversity of all regions of the globe.
- "Citizen Science Programs at the Alabama Museum of Natural History" - Your students can assist scientists from the Alabama Museum of Natural History by collecting valuable data about the biodiversity of the state.
- "Environmental Education in Alabama: Firefly Watch" With the help of a network of volunteers observing fireflies in their own backyards, scientists hope to learn about the geographic distribution of fireflies, their activity during the summer and how they are affected by human-made light and lawn pesticides.
- "Microgravity" - NASA's overview of microgravity, including images, videos, simulations, and lesson plans.
- "Rocketry" - NASA's overview of rockets and rocketry principles, including videos, images, interactive games and simulations, lesson plans, and highlighted career paths in the field of rocketry.
- "STEM on Station: Teach the ISS"- Welcome aboard STEM on Station - your connection to the International Space Station. Check out the website to find out how to bring space into your classroom with lesson plans, activities, opportunities, videos, images, and the latest news about the ISS.
- "Journey to Mars"- Overview of Mars, including historical, current, and future missions to the Red Planet.